Monday, December 5, 2011

Moving Right Along

So as of December 8th I will officially be a United States Peace Corps Volunteer. On December 9th I will be moving to Quba in the north of Azerbaijan, about 15 kilometres ( 9.3 miles) from the Dagestan border of Russia. My new Host Family in Quba has a mother, a father, an 11 year old brother, and three sisters who are 20, 22, and 24. So much for being an only child! Lol I'm definitely excited and a little nervous to meet them. My Host Family in Ceyranbaton has been so amazing. I truly feel like part of their family and the whole adjustment to a new one will be really difficult. Quba is only about 2 hours from Ceyranbaton though, so I will be able to come visit them often and they have promised to come visit me as well.

I will have three site mates (AZ'8s, i am an AZ9) in Quba and more friends in the neighbouring city of Xaçmaz, so I will be surrounded by good people. My address will change, and I will post it as soon as I have it confirmed. 

We took our final language exam of PST ( pre-service training) on Saturday. We must score a certain level of proficiency in order to be approved for Swearing In ( as a volunteer). The results and tapes are sent to Washington as part of our government file. I'm glad to have it over with, and I think it well. We had a mid- training exam as well and I scored the necessary level for the final one, on the mid exam so fingers crossed I maintained it. Te language is coming along, but is very difficult. My new organisation, an Ancient Caret Weaving Factory, operates in total Azerbaijani. So I will be business advising in the language....talk about daunting. 

While things are difficult, they are also really right. I don't know if that makes sense, but I have the feeling of being exactly where I should be right now. During the 17 month application process ( see separate tab above if you want the details) there was so much that was unknown, but I honestly Peace Corps tries to prepare you during that time, for the ambiguity you will face in service. I am embracing the ambiguity ha, which for those of you who know me well, know that the not being able to plan is such a challenge!

I will be going to Xaçmaz for a Christmas party in mid- December which will be great. Christmas will definitely be a difficult time, as it is the first time I will be way from home. I'm lucky to have such good friends here to be with

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Here!