Friday, January 6, 2012

Washing by Hand

In QUBA
January 6, 2012 **Update
So once again I tackled the arduous task of hand-washing my clothes in the Eastern European winter... this time however, the only audience I had in my backyard were our family's chickens. I am making strides towards becoming a true Azerbaijani housewife, and my Host Mother leaned out the window of our kitchen and laughed at me the entire time. I have to say though, she seemed awfully proud when I stuck with it, refusing help, and finished. She also told me that my Mother in America would see these pictures and say "ohh my good girl"...hear that Mom :)


My Laundry Entourage

Making My Host Mother Proud

Our Backyard





















In CEYRANBATON
December 5, 2011
So never again will I take for granted the convenience of a washing machine, and dare I say it....a dryer. I miss them. On my day off from classes today, I decided to tackle the growing pile of laundry that has been accumulating in one of my suitcases (which I use as a hamper).

Like a real Azerbaijani woman I pulled out the buckets and filled them with hot water and detergent and went to work. From all the muddy roads, the bottom of my pants were a nightmare and the water had to be changed frequently. It took a really long time, but eventually I did it.

Ha and then stepped out on the porch, and rung out all the excess water ( it is December mind you....BRrrrrrrr) and proceeded to hang all the clothes on the clothesline over the garden. Of course this became the spectacle of the young man who works at the Market across the street. As his friends joined him, they cheered as my underwear went up....mature, I know. I will wait until my host mother gets home from the city and then enjoy watching her give them a piece of her mind, as she is sure to do. Haha never an uninteresting day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Here!