Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Not Your Average Trip to Starbucks

So last Friday, my Counterpart (Azeri woman I primarily work with) took me to see a friend of her's that was visiting from her native country, Georgia. She wanted us to have coffee with the woman, a relatively normal request.... turns out, the Georgian woman came from Tbilisi, the capital, and apparently was skilled in the art of Coffee Tasseography...or Coffee Fortune Telling.

She lit up a cigarette as she began to mix the thick Turkish-style coffee and sugar together in a little mixer. She then took an old Russian book about Putin, and ripped a page from the text. Given Georgia's turbulent history with Russia, this was a comical political statement.

The coffee was left to cool, as I was instructed to take the delicate handle in my right thumb and forefinger only, whilst thinking of something I wanted answers about. Once the coffee cooled enough to drink, I was told to drink the majority of the thick liquid, using my right hand only, and then hand her the cup. The cup was placed face-down on the Putin pages, and left to drain.


She then proceeded to read my past, future and character traits. She said that I have always been fiercely independent and loyal to those around me. She also said that my career in life will come easily but that my future family will not, because I will not put it as a priority. She also said that I have always played with men...not sure how true that is? ;) She went on to warn me of a specific person I am to be careful around,  and describe in detail not one, but 2 potential lovers in my future... (I won't describe them here. I don't want to jinx it ha) She warned me to make family and personal life a priority at least as equal as my career.
Not my actual cup, but similar looking...

I then had to "open my heart" by placing my right thumb into the bottom of the cup, and twisting it clockwise. She also said that I was very difficult to read, as many people pull my energy away from me. She read my fortune in a mix of Russian and Azerbaijani, which my Counterpart translating the Russian for me into English.

The whole thing was really interesting and got me thinking, so I did a little research...

Coffee (or more commonly Tea Leaf) Tasseography is common in many countries, including Turkey, Romania and the Middle East. A white cup is generally used, and the white symbols that emerge represent "positive" fortunes, while the dark symbols, coffee, represent "negative". For example, an Apple means achieving knowledge, or completing a diploma; a cat can mean a deceitful friend or relative, and a Kite can mean that wishes will come true.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Here!