Monday, April 16, 2012

Take me out the the Ball Game!

So as many of you, My sitemates and I are bringing the Azerbaijan Peace Corps Softball League to Quba. I know there are many of you out there (more than I probably even know) who have contributed to the cause. I want to thank those who have contributed! It really means a lot to those involved, to be able to engage the children in our communities.

We held our 1st practice this past Saturday, and while the team is still small, it is growing. We are working hard on getting some young, female players as the concept is a little foreign here, but we'll get there. Last Saturday, my 3 sitemates and I were joined by an RPCV (Returned Peace Corps Volunteer, AZ7) for an afternoon of sun and learning to bat. I thought I would share a few pictures from our 1st practice!



This little guy is too young to play in the league, but we let him practice anyway

His name...Attila...yes really





So again, a BIG thank you to our contributors and an advanced thank you to new contributors :).



Some more info on the League...
The Azerbaijan Interregional Softball League (AISL) has been one of Peace Corps Azerbaijan’s largest projects, with more than 200 youth participants from all over the country. It is a project that has allowed the Azeri youth to compete in a friendly environment, exhibit community pride, and travel their country. In addition to teaching the rules and skills of the game, the main goals of the league are to promote healthy lifestyles, teamwork, sportsmanship, self-discipline, respect, and gender equality.
Donating is very simple and can be done online by visiting our PCPP (Peace Corps Partnership Program) grant at: https://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=donate.contribute.projDetail&projdesc=314-091  . Our goal is to raise $9,616 by May, the start of our 2012 season.

 **Donations are Tax Deductible!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment Here!